All Saints Church - Stained Glass
The church contains varied and interesting stained glass using techniques from the late fourteenth to the early twentieth century. In the windows on the north side of the nave are five roundels of white glass with yellow stain, all probably from the old church (two - the king and queen - are known to have been there). Four appear to date from the very end of the fourteenth century; they may have been made at the Oxford glass workshop of Thomas Glazier. In the larger window at the top is a man sheep-shearing - perhaps one of a set of roundels showing the 'Labours of the Months'. Beneath this are heads of a king and a queen. These are not in fact roundels but heads of royal saints, encircled
with their halos. The heads bear some resemblance to Richard II and Anne of Bohemia, whom the Golafre family served at court. In the small window over the pulpit is a figure of Our Lady at the Annunciation; the dove flies down on a ray of light, and there is a scroll entwined about a pot of lilies. The Angel is missing, and should have been on a companion roundel. Beneath is a later roundel, possibly about 1480, showing the eagle of St. John, presumably one of a set of the signs of the four evangelists. Below the king and queen, in the main lights of the larger window, is glass by R.Anning Bell, put in by Hope ffennell in memory of her parents. The main figures are Our Lady and St. George. The small St. Cecilia in the right hand bottom corner resembles her daughter Hazel, (died 1939); but is unlikely to be a portrait. (Picture 1)
The pulpit window
The main glass in the east window shows the Adoration of the Shepherds. It was made for a taller window, and does not fit well as framed by the 5th Earl. It
is in the style of Joshua Price (d. c. 1722), who made other similar windows. The Earl presumably found it in an early eighteenth century house. The window was 'restored' in memory of H. O. Coxe (d. 1881), and the figures near the Christ Child were touched up at this time.
The east window
The first (L.Hand) window on the south side of the chancel contains small roundels and squares of foreign glass, mainly sixteenth century, perhaps from the collection of Alderman Fletcher of Oxford (d. 1826). The Earl gave Fletcher a stone coffin from Godstow; the glass may have been a recompense. (See Picture 3). The crowns at the top of this and the next window, and the two diamond panes in the second window containing a portrait of Edward VI and his coat of arms, were put into the manor house (Wytham Abbey) by Lord Williams of Thame during Edward VI's reign.
Beneath the diamond panes in this window are some larger pieces of armorial glass. The early 16th century coat of arms belongs to the Dormer family. It was probably given by Alderman Fletcher, who presumably got it from a Dormer
manor house. (Picture 4). The 7th Earl married Gwendoline Dormer in 1883, making it appropriate at Wytham. The Willoughby crest below was inherited by the Earls of Abingdon who incorporated the 'fret' from the Norris arms. The two shields commemorate the marriage in 1648 of Montagu Bertie, 2nd Earl of Lindsey, and Bridget, Baroness Norris. Their son, James Bertie, was made Earl of Abingdon in 1682. The other